Tuesday, September 20, 2011

DIY Tie-Up Shades Tutorial

I'm pretty excited about all my little DIY home-ware improvement projects I have going on. This tie-up shade is one of the most recent projects. It's not exactly like most tie up shades because the ties on this shade are directly on either side. I think they look great though and are a fabulous addition to our dining room.
So, this is my first REAL tutorial and I'm pretty stoked about that! I hope the information/instructions are clear and concise enough!

What you will need:
- 1 yard of fabric per curtain
 - 4 yards+ 6in of ribbon per curtain
-Thread and sewing machine
-Scissors


The first thing you will do is lay your 1 yard of fabric fabric flat on a surface and take what will be the top and fold it down 3 or 4 inches (big enough to put a curtain rod through) and pin it.


Next, take what will be the bottom and fold it about an inch or so and pin it.


Then take the sides of the fabric and fold them over about an inch or so as well, but be sure to run 2 strands of your ribbon along inside the fold on each side, leaving a few inches hanging outside the fold at the bottom and pin it.





Now you are going to start sewing. Starting with the top and sew the fold shut and then sew the bottom fold shut.


Then sew the side folds shut but be sure not to sew the the ribbon inside the fold the whole way either. Only sew and attach the ribbon at the top inside the fold.


And then all you have to do is hang it up and adjust it to your liking by tying the strings at the bottom and you're done!

On the left is the curtain tied and scrunched up and on the right is a curtain that is not tied and scrunched. (you will have to ignore my ghetto wooden spoons propping up the windows lol)
This project takes about an hour or so with no interruptions like kids or sewing machine mishaps, not that I would know what that is like ;) so it took me about 2 hours.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment