Thursday, December 1, 2011

Advent Calendar Project

This year, my family is starting a new tradition -we will be incorporating an Advent Calendar into our Christmas festivities. I made this Advent Calendar and it looks a little "Dr. Seuss-y" if you know what I mean (kind of crooked and off center).

Here is another view of my Advent Calendar (see what I mean about "Dr. Seuss-y"?)
I've contemplated making a different one, but it's growing on me. Maybe I will make another one next year and use a different design. This one just took a long time and a lot of work to make.

I made little cards to put in each day's pocket. On each card is new activity for our family to do each day. I only made 24 pockets because our Christmas Day traditions are pretty much always the same.



       The only materials it took to make this was a dowel rod, some burlap, various scraps of fabric, and scrapbook paper. It was a pretty time consuming projects. I sewed the pockets on the burlap and made my numbers out of scrapbook paper. Our activities for each day range from reading scripture to driving around and looking at lights to making salt dough Christmas ornaments (stay tuned for a post about the salt dough ornaments!).
      I am excited about this new tradition for our family. My hope is that not only will our family be able to bond through the fun activities, but also for them to realize the true meaning of Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment